Friday, December 26, 2008

Contemplating Expectations

I am looking up expectation right now. On Wikipedia expecation is defined as what is considered most likely to happen in the case of uncertainty. An expectation is a belife centred on the ftureu so it may mor may not be realistic. IF an expectation is less advantageous then what was expected then the emotion of disappointments is given rise. If something happens that isn't expected, surprise results. An expectation about the behavior or performance of another person, expressed to that personm may have the nature of a strong request or order.

Well if expectations exist and they don't occur dissapointment occurs, if they don't exist at all the only thing that can come is surprise. And if someone expects things from someone else resentment can occur because it denotes control.

If nothing is ever expected then there is no dissapointment, only surprise and you won't be seen as controlling, demanding, or righteous.

Is this right? Is expectation that bad? Am I never supposed to assume that something might happen based on my past experience? I can't say that I know what I am supposed to do but I do have to say that it does seem like a better life can be lived with no expectations; I would trade dissapointment for surprise any day.

No comments: