Friday, February 13, 2009

Everything is Meaningless

For a while now I have been keeping a Meaning Journal. Every few days I write about meaning; what has meaning to me, how I can make meaning, and what have I done in a given day/week/month that has meant something. Yesterday while writing my meeting journal I received a nudge from God to search for the word meaning on BibleGateway.com.

This is what came up for meaning:
Ecclesiastes 1:2
2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless."
Ecclesiastes 1. Solomon wrote that everything is meaningless; everything of this world. So, to create meaning we have to create outside of this world; witness, fill our lives with the word, and pray. This is how we create meaning in our lives because everything else is meaningless. Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes as a warning to those who think they can be satisfied with what the world has to offer. Solomon had tried it all. He had taken of all the pleasures the world had to offer. He could speak with experience. All is vanity and vexation of spirit. Nothing under the sun offers any permanent profit. In the end, the wise man is he who fears God and keeps His commandments

My meaning affirmation is; I will make meaning by praying to God to help me surrender to his will and live my life to his glory. My life in this world can only have meaning through him.

I pray,

Dear Lord, please help me to live my life in a way that is pleasing to you, even when I don't want to. Please help me to desire a God pleasing life and to work towards your glory, not mine.

Amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

David, I really appreciate this post. This is my first look at your blog and this really made my heart smile. Your willingness to give it all to God is so wonderful and inspiring. A perfect reminder and example of life's only purpose.

in divine friendship,
turiya

Brian said...

Thank you for the awesome comment Turiya. Glad to see that you are following!

God bless,

Brian Darnell (AkA 12hourhalfday)