Monday, October 19, 2009

We are the Cure!


Why am I so passionate about the Komen Race for the Cure? There is more than one reason for that.
The Organization itself
I feel that the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization is genuine in its efforts to eradicate breast cancer for this world in that it provides real support for victims of the disease in the form of treatment aid and awareness material in addition to funds for research. This is evidenced by the events themselves which are filled to the brim with content which creates awareness, promotes hope, and shows a genuine love for the people affected by Breast Cancer.
My personal experience
When I was 13 years old I became very close to one of my closest friend's mothers who was afflicted by the disease. She wasn't able to work at the time because of Breast cancer treatment and when I called to talk to my friend, many times I ended up talking to her instead. She supported and encouraged me when I was going through my tough early teenage years and I really appreciated it. she eventually went into remission and went back to work but I stayed in close touch with her over the years as she was a waitress and I was able to see her often.
Her smile and hope during what had to have been the hardest time of her life became a place of support and a source of hope for me. Hope that things would get better during a very heard time in my life.
A few years ago her cancer came back and she eventually succumbed to the disease and passed away. I helped take care of her and her house during that time and I became very aware of how terrible breast cancer truly was as it destroyed her body.
I am passionate about the Race for the cure because of what I have seen of this disease. I have seen that this disease can be defeated by hope and love and Susan G. Komen for the cure creates a foundation of hope and love that is the cure. When they say "I am the cure" they are right! because through that support, awareness, and work we create that hope in the people that may not have it without them, this is what will cure the disease.

My Team, the Hilton Hikers ran in the Susan G. Komen race for the Cure yesterday on Sunday, 10/18. It has been a long process with a lot of hard work. We started in May with a $3000 goal and the promise that if we reached it I would dye my hair pink for the entire month of October. After months of fund raising events, raffles, and very very generous people we have arrived at $3902.22! We would love to reach a record breaking total of $4000. If you could see to donate $100 or even $1 to bring us closer to the goal please do at http://tinyurl.com/komenhikers. We can accept donations till 11/6/2009.

Thank you to everyone who has helped, will help, and the team of 31 Hilton Hikers that has made this all possible! We are the Cure!

No comments: