Saturday, February 2, 2013

Don't know how to be humble on my own.


Ephesians 4:2
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”
I read a verse like this and I get mixed feelings. The first thing that comes to mind is, "That's nice, those things are good to be" but on top of that I get "how in the heck can I do that? When I try to be humble I'm the first person to brag about an accomplishment, I don't know what being gentle means, I can't be patient for 5 seconds, and there are definitely people I can't bear with especially in love. What an unfair demand!"

If looked at in a larger context it makes a bit more sense:

4 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
The addition of the Spirit brings it together. Through Christ's sacrifice we are given his spirit which works with us to do the things we can't do on our own.

My prayer:

Dear Lord,

I continue to read your scripture and can't even try to understand it half the time, I read about doing things that make no sense to me and even come across to me as foolish. Father God, I confess that I can't do anything on my own, I am full of sin and unable to. Dear Lord thank you for giving your Son for me so that I can be capable of more. Please walk with me as your Spirit and show me the fruits of the spirit of love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Help me to come to an understanding with these things and give me the strength to make the choice to walk in your way rather than my own.

Amen.