Thursday, July 29, 2010

Love

I promised myself I would write today but as I start I have no real idea what I am going to write about.


A good topic is love


Love to me is the surrender of self to a person, place, concept, or God himself. By surrender of self I mean that through love we give ourselves to something, delving into a project with enthusiasm is a way of expressed love as are doing something nice for a friend for no reason, thinking of a friend, going to a favorite coffee shop, etc.


How do I show love for God?


If love is surrender of self then loving God is done through obedience to his word. It may not be evident what that means being how complex the Bible is and you may feel resistant to trying to understand what it dictates you do. A great way to simplify it is found in Matthew 22:36-40

Matthew 22:36-40 (New International Version)

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

There you have it! According to Jesus, the best way to follow him is to love him and other people! So through love we surrender ourselves to God and those around us thus we are loving people through God! I love how easy he makes it!


My prayer:


Father God,

help me to surrender myself to you and those around me. Help me to be truly loving no matter how hard it gets. Please stand with me and hold my hand, remove the sin from my heart and help me to be truly loving as you were loving to send your Son to die for our sins. Thank you my Father.

Amen


In your comments please share your thoughts on the best ways to express love and creative ways to express love to people, places, and experiences.

No comments: