Wednesday, February 16, 2011

About Love - God Does the Hard Work for Us

“[More on Love and Hatred] For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.”
1 John 3:11

 7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
1 John 4:7-12

44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Matthew 5:44

The Bible is amazing! We are not only given instructions, we are aided each step of the way to complete them. When I first read in the Bible that we should love our neighbors (even our enemies) I felt like I was being asked too much. Since my mind was always focused on earning my way to salvation the concept of loving everyone especially people I don't like and people that have wronged me seemed impossible.
Through sin the human race was barred from contact with God. We couldn't be close to him any more but through God's gift to us, we are open to God and able to know him.
John explains in his first book that God is love. Since we can know God we can know love. The exciting thing about this is God commands us to love but he also set things up so we can know love through him; HE IS DOING THE WORK FOR US!
I love the Bible; every time I read it I get more excited about God's gifts of grace and what that means for me.

My Prayer: 
Dear Lord, Please help me to let go and let you take over. Thank you for doing the hard work for me. Amen

No comments: