Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Power supplies, viruses, and temperature alerts...Oh My!

I am shopping for a new PC case. why?
A few months ago I had to purchase a new power supply for my PC; the fan died on my old power supply and it would boot any longer. I purchased a power supply and that was the end of it until the Virus. Sarah and I were experiencing lots of popups and virus alerts on the PC. I troubleshooted it and thought I had it removed and it kept coming back over and over again. With a little more than a month of careful planning I reinstalled Windows and got rid of the virus.
About a month after the Virus situation was dealt with my computer would start to shut down on it's own and claim that it experienced a thermal event upon boot. I troubleshooted this until I was blue in the face and now I am using a small form factor PC I purchased from my office.

I am thrilled!

Didn't expect that did ya? I am thrilled because

1. I lived with XP home on my old machine for a long time and a very old version of Photoshop which I no longer had the license for. The virus forced my hand and I not only had to get a copy of XP pro (in order to get advanced network tools and make it easier to deal with viruses) I got it for free through an education agreement at my college. Since I needed photoshop I research and talked about it with my friends and family and Sarah was able to find a very very reasonable student license for Photoshop and Lightroom.
2. While troubleshooting my hardware problem I came to the conclusion (wrongly) that it must be my video card. My good friend Augusto got me a card within days (thank you my friend! You are great!) and it is much better than my existing card.
3. The machine I got from work is a Pentium 4 3 GHZ dual core PC where my last PC was only a 2.8Ghz single core PC. I had an awesome PC in my closet and i didn't even realize it.

I am thrilled because without all these supposed bad things that happened to me over the last few months I wouldn't have this great PC! I thank God for that! I thank him for the good and the supposed bad because since he made it it is good no matter if I realize it at the time or not.

I pray:
Father in Heaven, thank you for the amazing gifts I have received thank you for all of this and realization that even my hardships have blessings built into them! You are the mighty and amazing creator and I praise you!

Amen

So now, I am shopping for an ATX computer case (the PC I am using now is a small form factor PC and the card Augusto gave me won't fit in it so I have to get a bigger case for my awesome new computer!)

Even more bright sides, the RAM from my old PC works in this one so I have 4GB of RAM, a brand new video card, an extra video card for another PC to build and 1GB of RAM from this PC! Thank you Lord! Thank you for all of the events and people that helped me to experience this and no matter what happens keep me present and aware that your plans are good.

1 comment:

turiya said...

You have a great attitude and you speak the truth from your heart. So thankful to know you.
Awareness plus Humility makes life awesome! Proud of you man.

in divine friendship,
turiya