Monday, June 15, 2009

How do you let it go?

When I am anxious or stressed about something I often get the advice from friends,

"just let it go".

But how do you do that if you feel like you can't? What if it feels like something is wrong with you and you hold onto things even though your greatest desire is to just get rid of them. Don't worry, you are not alone and there is nothing wrong with you, I have the same problem myself quite a bit.

How do I deal with it?

Sometimes I don't, sometimes it really stresses me out and I can't let it go but a lot of times this is because I haven't really identified how I am let alone why. I find that I can't find the why until I have found the how and even if I know why I am so stressed, if I haven't identified how it doesn't go away.

Some tricks that work for me:
* Write it down - Identify how you feel on paper. This isn't why you are stressed, this is how the stress feels. Is your chest tight? is it hard to breath? are you breathing too fast? How does it feel?
* Talk about it with someone you trust. Being open about how you feel is a great way to relieve the feeling. Very often once it is identified the problem goes away.
*Take a walk - This one is really easy but sometime the hardest thing. I will think I am stressed about tons of different things but the real problem is I haven't given myself any adequate reflection time. Take some time for yourself and your problems may just unravel themselves.

No comments: