Thursday, November 20, 2008

Natural Planning Model for Sleep Project

I woke up at 10 to 7 this morning. I slept at 1am. This particular issue is really
eating at me. I want to get to bed earlier but feel blocked.
I want to blame everyone around me whether they be work or family but I know
in my heart that it is my choice and I am merely making excuses.
Why can't to bed earlier? What is stopping me? The answer that whispers in
my head is, "because you don't want to". I know I really do want it. I want earlier
nights and earlier mornings like I used to have. I want to be able to proclaim "every
hour of sleep before midnight is worth two and every hour up before noon
is worth two"
What is the next action? I don't know. I will have to walk myself through the
natural planning model.

Natural Planning Model for Sleeping Earlier Waking Earlier Project
1. What is the purpose and principles? (Why do I want to get to bed earlier
and what rules am I abiding by?)

Purpose:
I want to get to bed earlier because I like how I feel when I sleep that schedule.
I enjoy the energy, morning clarity, and the ability to accomplish more in the
morning.
Principles:
I want to start getting to bed earlier but I also want flexibility, if an activity
requires being up late then I don't want to be left out of it.
2. What is the desired outcome?

What would wild success look like?

In this case wild success would be I curl up into bed every night between 7:00PM
and 9:00PM and wake up between 3:30am and 4:30am. My best memories of good sleep
come from going to bed at 7, sleeping in became getting up at 4. I wake up bright
and early with a smile and am up and to the shower or the gym without hesitation.
My skin is in better shape, my anxiety becomes more manageable, and I slowly
but surely get back into my optimal athletic shape.



3. Brainstorming

What are all the things that occur to me about this? What is the
current reality? What do I know? What do I not know? What ought I consider?
What haven’t
I considered? Etc.

  • Design a reward system for keeping a chain of early bed
  • Take melatonin and valarien root
  • Go to the gym at 4 or even better, 3:30 after work which will help you
    sleep.
  • Start jogging
  • Practice getting up earlier when you are not tired to ingrain
    it into your subconscious.
  • Keep a dream journal
  • Talk to your family about your commitment and get ideas
  • Research sleep on line
  • Don’t be too strict with a time
  • This is connected to my health and fitness project as well as my anxiety
    management project so this should help me with anxiety, procrastination,
    energy levels, etc.
  • I should take before and after pictures and blog about
    my progress.
  • I could use the checklists in GTDagenda.com (will blog about
    this soon).
  • Take a shower before bed
  • Get a new bed frame
  • I can add meditation to my sleep state to my daily meditation.
  • I definitely have to pray about this – Why does prayer never pop
    into my mine first?
  • Make sure to budget melatonin and valerian.
  • I am celebrating the completion of another goal (Daily budget planning
    on nov 30th). This could be part of my next goal. So my preparation will
    be due by Nov 30th
  • I have to make sure that my life is still balanced with my relationship
    with my girlfriend and family around this sleeping schedule.
  • If I fall off the wagon I need to jump back on the next day and not
    let it discourage me.
  • What mistakes can I learn from?I know not to be inflexible the last
    time I did this I set a flat time and it was too difficult to maintain around
    other commitments. But I also know not to let peer pressure talk me out of
    this. I know in my heart that this works for me. I will discuss this with
    family first thought because it is a big change and resistance is rampant
    during a big change.
  • What skills do I have that can help me with this? I know how to practice
    and I know how to negotiate with resistance.
  • What could happen? I end up in a fight with my girlfriend because I
    don’t want to stay up. Can I handle it? Yes, I need to be open in discussions
    with my family before starting the project since my schedule doesn’t
    only effect me.
  • What about Wednesday nights? This will be a bit of a schedule shift
    since I get off work at 9:30, how can I handle this? Work a normal schedule
    on those days and do my homework sporadically and on Saturdays. I will have
    to make homework a daily goal and Sunday the catchup day, Wednesday can no
    longer be the deadline.
  • Who would have concern about the success of this project? Myself, I
    would feel a great victory if I did this. My work would see a positive change
    right away and welcome it with open arms
  • What’s the worst idea you can imaging about doing this project?I
    am really tired and irritability at first and it is hard to deal with.
  • What is the best idea?The new scheduled applies seamlessly and I am
    awake and bright every day, I lose 30 pounds in 3 months.
  • What would make this project particularly unique?If I maintained periodic
    journal and blog posts about it.
  • I can. I KNOW I CAN, I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS OUTCOME
    AND WILL BE ABLE TO ACOMPLISH IT!

4. Organizing
Identify components (sub-projects), sequences, and/or priorities.
What needs to happen to make the whole thing happen?
Create outlines, bulleted lists, or organizing charts, as needed for review
and control

Calendar

  • Talking to family at brunch on 11/3

Related Projects

  • Set up Daily Lists
    • Daily Exercise
    • Daily Meditation
    • Daily Journal
  • Rearrange room so bed is under window. This won’t directly help me
    sleep but making a big change like this always seem to boost my creative
    energy at the beginning of a big project.
Sub Projects
  • Get light blocking curtains for bedroom window
  • Get new bed frame

5. Next Actions
Determine next actions on current independent components. (What should
be done next, and who will do it?)
If more planning is required, determine the next action to get that to happen.

  • Calendar - Schedule discussion in brunch notes
  • @home – Log into gtdagenda.com and set up daily list
  • add sleep earlier get up later to projects – personal list
  • add Daily Exercise, Daily mediation, Daily Journal to project notes for Daily
    Checklist project. (Thanks Barb for this idea)
  • @home – Checkbook – Budget -50 for light blocking curtains
  • @home – Checkbook – Budget
    -50 for bed frame
I think this will be a very successful project.


No comments: