Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dealing with Mistakes

I googled dealing with mistakes this morning and found a lovely article by Rick Brenner at ChocoCanyon.com. I did this as a next action to my project "Learn to accept my mistakes" and while reading came across a wonderful bit of wisdom:

Converting rules to more forgiving guidelines is very helpful. A more reasonable guideline might be something like "I do my best not to make mistakes, and I'm human."

And it helps to reframe mistakes. In many ways, mistakes can actually be gifts in disguise. Here are a few gifts that sometimes come along with mistakes:

  • If you realize that you've made a mistake, it wasn't fatal.
  • Every mistake is an opportunity to practice owning up to mistakes.
  • The earlier you find out about a mistake, the more time you have to do something about it.
  • Your mistakes are a service to your community — everyone around you feels better about their own fallibility.
  • What you were actually trying to do might have been even worse than the mistake you made.
I do My Best not to make mistakes and I am human! This is my affirmation for the day! I have been so burdened to try to be ok with mistakes but I don't necessarily have to be ok about them, just be ok with being someone who can make them. I was fighting the wrong monster!

No comments: